23.4.08

Weston and his ways...



I have always held Edward Weston in the highest regard, not because of his nudes, which I never liked, or because of his landscapes, which never moved me. Even his beautiful still life studies never gave me the wow factor. It was in fact Weston's Day books that blew me sideways. I believe these give an insight like nothing ever published regarding photography and the photographer and are as relevant now as they where when first written. If you have not done so I would urge you to read these wonderful passages of thought, feelings and the frustrations we all share as creative people. I read all the Day Books when I was a student and again when I first began printing (something Weston himself did for others from time to time and grew to despise as much as I did) They were a wonderful influence back then and still are now when drinking vast amounts of coffee or orange juice (see Day books)
I think its fair to say that The Day Books humanise Weston and you come away realising he is just another photographer, but what a photographer...

One thing I have realised over the years is that sometimes in order to enjoy photography it is sometimes better to know nothing at all about the photographer and the techniques involved. I have mentioned this before in other posts were people always want to know 'so much' about how an image was made right down to the last detail. Let me give you an example of what I mean: The Image above of the Pepper was not just a pepper Weston found lying around in a cupboard (ohhh look at this crazy squashy pepper, wheres my camera) This is what I had always thought and used to think how amazingly lucky they where in the Weston house to have such fancy looking peppers. No, no, no, this was only one of the many that where taken. I should of known this from the fact that the shot is titled Pepper Number 30. Anyhow what I am trying to say is that once I learnt the truth, it kind of took the magic away. After all Weston only wanted us to see one pepper and not a cupboard full.

No comments: