4.1.10

A DECADE OF DOYLE..


So the good news is that I have been asked if I would do a show in March (or there a bouts) the idea being to show a selection of work showing my immense scope and diversity within the landscape medium. But my friends this is no easy feat mainly due to the fact that I have accumulated a fair about of images over the years.
After some liaising on the subject it came to light that this would in fact be a ten year retrospect, a decades worth of work in fact. So to pick out ten or more images representing what I have done is no easy feat. Do you go with favourites, ones with stories behind them, ones for saleability, big ones, little ones, fat ones, thin ones, and the list goes on. This is where a gallery can really prove its worth being able to view the work without bias and with fresh eyes. After all (as published here not long ago) people don't necessarily see what I see when they look at one of my images.. its a bit like the olden days when I used to pick out models for test shoots just because I fancied them rather than for there ability to look good on film. The same goes for images where I just pick out the ones I like with a stuff you attitude. Self editing is rarely a good thing and the reason Editors where invented. Above is a good example of what I am talking about. Of the two images I would go for the top one. Why? Because it takes me back to The Salton Sea where I spent a lot of time. This image fills me with warmth and I just love the colours and the obscurity of a single lamppost in the middle of nowhere, I also like the fluke of that weird cloud for which I have no answer. The Wallpaper shot on the other hand (chosen by the gallery) just reminds me of some old living room from the 1950's and as much as I like it, it doesn't hold the creative juice I normally go for.. However, in sale terms and popularity the two images are pretty much equal. This is a good example of how you need to think if you are going to go the gallery route, its not so much about what you like, its what the public like...
Anyway looking forward to seeing what the gallery come up with although I am hoping for a little Doyley-do-as-you-do input as well (naturally).

You heard it hear first on the B that is Mode.

No comments: