16.7.08

Take me back...




Long, long ago when I was a good few pounds heavier (mostly from my love of cake) and spent many long hours in a dark room wearing vinyl gloves (not latex as it gave me a rash..) surrounded by the sound of running water and radio two I would often take short trips away at weekends to places like Paris, New York and parts of Europe. My only necessity was a 35mm camera loaded with black and white film, one lens, no tripod and a constant desire to shot anything that took my fancy. Working as a printer always had it's benefits and the joy of seeing my new images was always a magical experience.
When I came across the work of Jason Langer it took me right back to those moody images I produced in the form of 5/7 prints all those years ago (ok it wasn't that long ago). I have often thought of 'digging' out all of these prints and doing something with them. But that was in the past and at a time when my direction was a bit like a spinning compass. Although I may post a few on here at some point.
Its a delight to see that Langer has made his work, well, work, and its nice to see some 'real' passionate photography with a timeless quality. I love it...

While looking through Langer's images there was something very familiar about them I couldn't quite put my finger on....It was something in the printing. That heavy moody feel I just love in the black and white. Then I read his Bio and it turns out he assisted Michael Kenna for a time. How about that, we even share the same influences...

Must book a trip to Paris..

No comments: