21.5.08

More from the homeland...



As I was up in my homeland recently I wanted to mention the work of John Darwell simply because he shoots landscapes and lives in Carlisle. He is probably most noted for his book Dark Days which documents impact of foot and mouth disease across Cumbria. Although an important book it does leave me a bit chilly probably because it takes me back to smell of cows burning in the fields and the fact you couldn't go anywhere, a miserable time indeed.. I have to say during this time I did venture out once and was shot at by a farmer (I must of crossed a barrier) anyway that put me off doing any kind of project...
As I have not seen any of Darwell's prints I cannot comment on the quality as I know he shoots large format but the repro on the website is quite poor.
All in all though I think Mr Darwell has some great projects however, I do think I may bit over critical on some of the work as it is so close to home.
I am waiting for the day when I bump into JD on some mountain in Cumbria so I can say to him 'this town ain't big enough for the both of us' (which is why I moved to London). Or maybe we will just have a scuffle...
I have included an image of Darwell's and a one of Doyle's both shot in the same location in Cumbria. I should point out that this is not a competition, but just a look at two different styles and approaches. You should know which is which by now....

No comments: