29.5.08

Lifting the mood...

After my last very serious post I thought I better look at something a little more light.
I stumbled upon the work of Russ Quakenbush very much by accident. Never heard of him before, very surprising with a name like that, but have to say that his work has such a wonderful element of dry humour to it, at least I hope this is the case otherwise I am in trouble...
There is a mountain of work on his website and I am sure it will leave you smiling, especially the Muscle Beach segment which is fantastically observed right down to the last image (couldn't find a copy online) of Governor Swarchenegger (still baffles me) arm wrestling a member of the public....Brilliant...

I guess now is a good time to point out that I am not a fan of 'very serious' photography, or for that matter 'very serious Photographers' particularly within the landscape field. This of course does not mean I do not admire the serious 'Photo Journalist' or 'Documentary Photographer' as they have a very important place. I am pointing more at the perfecto, deadpan, my monotone building is very serious type of photographer who likes to talk about straight lines and critical exposure, composition, and vitamins. Dull as dishwater and as happy as a beached whale. Enough said.

No comments: