22.3.08

Early influences, Richard Misrach



It was this particular image of an empty swimming pool that inspired me to travel to the Salton Sea and do my own project some twenty years after Misrach. Its one of those places where everything comes together once the sun goes down.
Misrach's images haunted me for years and I often wandered how such work was possible. Of course the light quality was one thing but the key factor was the large format, this was something I would eventually discover myself years later.

So there you have it. Two of my biggest influences. But with both of these celebrated artists it is the early work I am most fond of. I personally believe there is a period in a photographers career when they produce there finest work, there masterpiece if you like. I would like to think that my masterpiece is still to come......

No comments: