13.4.10

LETS GO ON A JOLLY..

The only memory I have of Margate is an episode of 'Only Fools And Horses' when they all go on a Jolly to the sea side.
Upon arrival I soon realised that it was quite different from the last few places I had frequented and like Dungoness, Hastings and the like it was very windy and exposed which always carries the fear of me having messy hair..
Like so many coastal towns at present Margate appears to have been hit hard by the recession and boarded up shop fronts now seem to be commonplace. One such place, an abandoned hotel, gave way to the Doyle via an open back door and I spent a little time trudging through the corridors fighting pigeons and netted curtains. (If ever you come across places like this and like me love to explore, cover your mouth with a scarf or something, better still a paper mask. Inhaling birdy poo dust is not a good idea).
My main objective of the day was to photograph the Tide Pool, something for which Margate is well known I believe. A bizaare device to say the least and basically a pool of trapped smeggy sea water which appears bottomless due to its murky nature. As I looked around for a good angle on the effluent container a young chirpy lady asked me if I knew how deep the pond of brown was, to which I relied "Well, there's only one way to find out!" And so without further ado she stripped to her bikini and ran fearless into the soupy abyss. After some bizaar noises and splashing about she appeared triumphant, wet and cold and immediately started to dry herself on a towel. Being the gent I am I continued with my picture search pretty much ignoring the lady who I believe may have been a little potty. My search was disrupted when a shrill from the potty one cried out across the pond and I turned to see that the wind had joyously blown away her towel and the top of her bikini. Now this is the point where I could argue that I wish I had a digital camera. But thankfully my Dark Cloth saved the young woman's dignity as I took charge and ran after her towel like a dirty dog. I retrieved the towel and returned it to the damsel who was most grateful if a little shaken..
It turned out to be a fine day. Right up to the point when a drunk local girl called me baldy man and then threw up splashing Alco Pops and candy floss on my Timberland Boots...
Dont you just love the British Sea Side...

3 comments:

Reid said...

What a Gentleman you are Mr Doyle! It sounds like the start of a beautiful love story. Thats better than giving her your coat! I do picture her with a weathered red face and breasts like 2 golf balls in a pair of socks though!

marcus doyle said...

I would of given her my coat but it was way too cold. What I didn't mention is that I then stripped off and swam to France.
You look like some kind of criminal in that pic.

Reid said...

Love criminal! I dated a French chick once! It's not true about their armpits!