8.9.08

Its dark in here....



I came across the work of Richard Nicholson today and although I am quite fond of his East End Lock up series (see website) I just adore the Darkroom images (see above). Its nothing really to do with the technique (I personally think using a safe light or some dirty 12 watt bulb to light the shots may have added some drama, but I guess its not really necessary for such a project as this) I simply like the fact that they are working darkrooms. It takes me back to my printing days with the smell of chemistry burning my nostrils to the sound of running water...
I was especially delighted to see my old enlarger still going strong and being very well looked after. (I won't mention which darkroom it is as I am still weeping from our separation).
One thing the Darkroom series does do very well is show how personal these spaces are to the printer. Be they messy, tidy, dirty, clean, with an old enlarger, with a new enlarger, a big space or a small space, they all show a little piece of the once hero's of photography when the world was mostly analog and a little smellier.....Longer may it last....

Death to the Pixel..

No comments: