8.4.20

Unihabited verses Isolated..

I read a dull article over on the Peta Pixel blog the other day regarding the current lock down and how photographers should avoid the obvious cliches of empty streets and discarded face masks etc.
Yes, I am all about trying to look at things from a different 'angle', but obvious cliches are often a good starting point and can lead onto other 'less obvious' things..

What I did find interesting is that they used a 15 year old Todd Hido image (used it just like I am using mine here) to demonstrate a point and added that now the image had an entirely different meaning. 



The concept of an image changing its meaning over time is an interesting one and something I hold dear (as mentioned on here not long ago).
I certainly do not believe for a second that Todd Hido intended his image from his House Hunting series to be regarded as a poster child for quarantine, but as people interpret images in their own way it may have become just that.

Very often the streets I photographed were not void of people, I made them that way. Therefore although my images represent empty streets, in theory they are not.

 MD Virtual Water 2004
 MD Vegas 2000
 MD Thursdays by The Sea 2004-2012
MD Death Valley 2016

 Photographing empty streets and places totally void of people is very different. These places often feel very different and the images often give a very different haunting quality, for example, there are no lights on anywhere...

It seems strange to me now that my latest series was made out in the desert and became an attempt to find places that are totally uninhabited, seeking out isolation when now it has been thrust upon us..
 However, let us remember, uninhabited and void of people are two entirely different concepts evoking very different emotions.. I think..



No comments: