18.1.20

Lets get started.



Whether mentoring MFA students or lecturing on what it means to be a photographer, I always enjoy the return to basic photography 101. The simplicity of working with a roll of black and white film, processing it, and the final printing stage still triggers those happy times when I was careless and fancy free with only a 35mm camera for company.
I always like to start the semester undertaking the same project as my students and this year was no exception.
So few students these days will ever know the skills required to make photographs way back when everything had to be done by hand and took a long time and the camera didn't do everything for you.
I do believe that technology (logy; meaning sluggish) often only serves to make people lazy, and photography is no different.
Sometimes its good to start from the very beginning.

No comments: