30.7.14

VIRTUAL WATER



A little while ago I started working on research for a new project based in California, heres my statement;

"During the five years between 2006-2011 shooting the Californian landscape I became increasingly aware to the amount of water being unnecessarily consumed in the desert areas of the West. Lush green lawns, water parks and leisure complexes seemed to be the norm using millions of gallons of water every day in a State now classed as being in severe drought. It was clear that the consumption of water had gone beyond necessity and few seemed to be looking at reducing or rethinking their water usage despite the leaps and bounds in water recycling technology. In this project I have returned to the desert areas of Western California to document the ongoing concerns of water-waste and mass consumption as well as methods and technologies being used to tackle this environmental concern." 

The image shown here, made some time ago in Lake Las Vegas, first got me thinking of such a project and how it could be done using photography. To document, but also make visually appealing for the viewer, will be my ultimate aim here, hopefully that way people might take a bit more notice!!

Its a big undertaking but one which I am confident can produce a valid argument and most interesting project. The research for this one is vast, so much so I have created a whole new blog dedicated to the cause here.

I guess its time I got a bit more serious.



No comments: