17.7.13

The Road..

 Fire Hall, Calico, CA 2013
Yosemite, CA, 2013

After a splendid month on the road driving through the deserts of California, Arizona and Nevada, I was not phased by the current heatwave here in sweaty London. 
Although I would not consider myself lucky to be in Death Valley at a time when heat records were almost broken down in Badwater, the hottest place on the planet, it was quite the experience to feel your eye balls drying out and your plums begin to shrivel. I should point out now that if one more person tells me, "Well it's dry heat so you don't feel it". They should pay this place a visit..

 Apart from the dusty road and an endless array of photographic content, the highlight for me had to be my arrival into Yosemite National Park, and in particular Yosemite Falls. You may be wondering why a landscape photographer like myself has never frequented such a mecca for photographers, (well I haven't been to  the Moon either and thats meant to be awesome), the reason is simple. Its because it is a mecca for photographers (and anyone with a camera for that matter). I despise seeing people lined up along a cliff top all shooting the same thing with a telephoto lens the size of a trumpet. But to see Yosemite for the first time is quite magical and something which you just cannot replicate with photography. (You may now mention Ansel Adams who spent most of his working life there, but lets not get carried away, I was only there for three days). 

I came to the conclusion that all those tourists getting in my way had one thing in common; They all wanted to record the event. They wanted a trophy for their achievement of traveling half way round the world, and that trophy was a photograph.

New images on the way soon...


No comments: