25.3.09

Man Made Mountains....


Now that the North Shores project is complete I thought I would show you these images taken from another project I have been working on for a little while now. You may be forgiven for thinking they where shot in the Middle East somewhere or a Desert in America. They are in fact part of my quarry series (mention Ed Burtynsky and there will be trouble) shot here in merry old England. This body of work plays a lot with scale so don't be upset if you didn't realise they are not mountainous terrain because thats the whole point. They are in fact the ultimate in the Manmade Landscape and very much part of my ongoing fascination with nature and the man made (along with everyone else). What I like best about this work is that the 'landscape' changes every day as the gravel, silt, sand etc. is dug up and moved around.
I chose to shoot the work on overcast days for nice soft light and also to prevent the sky interfering with the fine details of the mounds/mountains...
How very German..

No comments: