30.7.08

Picture if you will...


Picture the scene if you will.... The sun has set and the magical light transforms the sea to a shimmering Sapphire blue. An old wooden pier cuts into the water and awaits the arrival of creation. You've been waiting a couple of hours and all the bananas and snacks you brought along are now in your belly. As you begin to make your move a car parks up beside you. Two people get out of the imposing vehicle and grab there rucksacks from the boot. Armed with tripods and pink graduation filters (just a hunch) they move with speed and set up there cameras precisely where you had planned your shot hours earlier.. A little banana sick and a few choice words later you watch in despair as the light diminishes to a flat grey yuck.
What gave me the rage on this particular occasion was not the fact that someone had beat me to it, or that there where other photographers around, that would be silly. No, what gave me a rage rash was the fact that I was being so 'obvious' in my approach. I was going t do the same shot as everyone else...Flaming pointless...To make matters worse I moved into position as soon as the my two new enemies left only to be surrounded by the youth of the north who proceeded to hurl themselves off the very pier I was trying to photograph...But then in a moment of clarity the waters started to sparkle and for a few precious minutes I was engulfed in the most glorious light. I changed the camera angle, exposed a single sheet and captured the moment with a smile. The smile would of remained had I then not seen my dark cloth being washed out to sea.....

I'm really not the best person to be around when it comes to making pictures as I tend to get so engrossed letting nothing get in my way, and, although I am always nice to the people who knock my tripod and look into my lens while I am exposing, there will always be the wish that I had a giant pair of sponge boots on so I could gently 'kick some 'get out of my way' ass.'

No comments: