24.2.09

LIBERTY....


So there I was in town doing my hair in the window of Liberty, you know that nice shop full of over priced fake antique chairs, peely paint wardrobes and handbags, when suddenly I remembered that the Photographers Gallery (London) in its new 'down a back alley gallery', was showing an off site exhibition of contemporary British Landscape photography.
Amongst the clutter of the 4th floor I eventually found this pity full location (at least for showing large photographs) but was immediately distracted by rather nice Eames chair reproduction with its classic style and soft leather.... But back to the 'off site' show of contemporary British landscape photography, well, amongst the cheap chipped frames, dinged prints and inflated price tags I soon found myself ready for a snooze on the new found chair I just mentioned. The sad thing is that this is not a dig at the photography because I admire the work of Jem Southam, Stephen Vaughn and Ernst Fischer, all of which are included in this shin dig, its the diabolical way its all been put together as it makes all the work look trashy and cheap. Even the beautiful Eastern European girl beside me told me it made her very sad.. It might as well be in a Starbucks as far as I am concerned.
Shame really as it would of made a nice show in the new multi story Photographers Gallery, after all you wouldn't buy a chair from a gallery would you, even if it was a Eames reproduction...

No comments: