10.1.09

The Cold And The Bold...


Back from my ventures abroad I had about an hour of great enthusiasm (as you do when you get back off holiday). Now thats gone I thought it time to write and 'Get It On' as they say Stateside.

All I have heard since my return to the land of the grey sky is how cold its been, and how cold it is. Well my friends of the painted light this is nothing...
I happened to be in Montana (USA) over the festive period and decided one evening to venture out into the great open wearing only a few thin T Shirts and a rain proof jacket. People called me crazy but as a Northerner who would wear a muscle vest in December while going for a night on the town (what a pratt) I thought nothing of it. And so armed with my camera I stepped into the icy landscape like a new born Polar Bear. Now as you may know I have traveled a little and been to some cold places, but nothing had prepared me for the cold I was about to endure. First off was the lack of sensation in my feet, then it was my legs, then my torso, then the tears in my eyes which froze like little diamonds. My right hand stuck to the leg of my Gitzo tripod but as I couldn't feel it it wasn't so bad when the skin came off. Finally the shutter on my lens froze, although I should point out that I was still able to use the camera by way of placing the lens cap on the lens and counting out loud (one frozen arse, two frozen arse etc..). I wont mention the chill banes which followed but I will say I lasted for about an hour by jumping up and down and doing push ups in the snow. Call it commitment, call me crazy. Its that thing a photographer has when nothing can stop them, and if you are wondering just how cold it was -40 degrees C.
And yes I am crazy.....

More snow and adventures to follow when the jet lag and hunger subside.

No comments: