31.10.08

My hands are cold...


I recently watched Kenneth Branner's Shackleton which I would recommend to anyone, a very enjoyable snowy epic. It got me thinking of how important Photography can be. Shackleton's journey to the pole would of been fruitless had it not being recorded onto film (or in this case glass plates). Not only was it proof of his endeavors, it has since become a valuable record of the time.
Any past achievement has always been recorded using photography be it the fake moon landings, conquering Everest, the birth of a child etc...But without writing a book on the subject I just thought it would be nice to mention Shackleton and the photography of Frank Hurley, especially considering how difficult it would of been producing such images in such bad conditions, something I am familiar with on a smaller scale.

No comments: