24.3.08

More early influences, Michael Kenna.



I still consider Michael Kenna one of the daddy's of landscape photography and I believe him to a heavy influence among many other photographers. I was a big fan of the work he produced in the late eighties/ early nineties.
Admittedly his style is easy to copy, or so I thought. Lots of ND filters, slow black and white film and a good tripod. I tried on many occasions to do my own versions of a Kenna, but they were no where near as good and had none of the magic. I should of known that no one does it quite like Kenna.
The one thing that did surprise me was the size of his prints in exhibitions. There tiny. But exquisite and jewel like.
There is a very interesting video here regarding technique and thoughts on his work and its just great.

No comments: