27.3.08



A beautiful morning today, so a couple of beautiful images thanks to Stephen Shore.
There are just so many great American Landscape Photographers I could do a blog on just that, but of course my Britishness will not allow me.
Having lived in the USA for three years, and having done projects myself, I got to understand how all these photographers made such great work. America is vast and the landscape so diverse, it really is a photographers ideal. But the main difference to anywhere else on the planet is that you can drive the whole of America. You can set off (in your big camper van) In my case it was out of California, and an hour later you can be in the desert, totally alone waiting for the sunset. Another hours drive and you could be in three feet of snow surrounded by the smell of pine trees.. Nowhere else offers this amount of photographic freedom. Even with all the new paranoia and threat to national security, It is still the most open country to photography, as long as you don't photograph federal buildings or cross the No Trespass sign, your ok...Of course there where times for example when I forgot my Visa while crossing various State Borders, but thats another story...
I would be very interested to see what one of these American greats could do in the UK with our small roads and dodgy weather. I will look out some examples, if there are any and come back to this subject. Meanwhile enjoy the weather, while it lasts...

No comments: