28.3.10

If I had looked at Dave Jordano's work ten years ago, I would of probably of clenched my fists, bit my lip and broke out in a cold meaty sweat. Early on in my colour work I was constantly at war with myself wanting to produce as much good work as possible. Looking at more experienced photographers often left me jealous and bitter with their achievements. The problem I often had was that I would look at a body of work thinking the photographer had produced it all in a couple of weeks, whereas the reality would be that it had taken years to get to the point of presenting thirty or so images that bowled me over and made me spill my milkshake.
Ten years on I seem to have found an inner peace with photography and really enjoying looking at other photographers work (hence things like this blog). The jealousy has all but vanished, the bitterness now a sweet tingle. I do have to admit that the first thing I look at when I see work I love is to check out the age of a photographer making sure they where born before 1972, silly I know, but its rare to find maturity in a body of work by a sixteen year old. If I did maybe I would clench my fists and break out in a meaty one, but I doubt it.
So back to Dave Jordano (born 1948) who's amazing work can been seen here. This is one guy who just keeps producing incredible work. You never know, may be he will read this blog, and then may be he will check out my date of birth.

2 comments:

Mauro Thon Giudici said...

Age doesn't matter, at least is what I continue to repeat to myself. In the history of art different Artists made their bests at different Ages. Did you know that Leonardo made his painting in his fifties ?
An other solution is to think that at least you're in no derivative business ...
solidarity

marcus doyle said...

Its not the age my friend, its the mileage...
M